Charmain chicks @ 6 days ~ pics

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by draftiemama, Jul 4, 2010.

1. draftiemama

draftiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Florida
    Charmain is staying away from the house, not surprising because we have 4 dogs and 4 cats but she's been this route before and has done a good job raising her peeps. She comes in for water and has shown them where the feed is so I know they are eating and drinking. But more importantly she is showing them how to eat in the wild, she ambles through the pastures and woods making her 'mama' noises when she finds a cricket or some other choice snack.

Here's a couple of photos from this morning.

[​IMG]
    Can't see chicks in the tall grass.

[​IMG]
    Finally she gets to the mowed part of the pasture and I can get a photo or two. (it rained on me and I didn't finish mowing yesterday)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They're lively little things. This photo taken in the crappy pasture but I guess the bugs are just as good there.

If she does what she's done in the past, soon she'll be roosting on the horse stall fence at night and then I'll get lots of pictures! [​IMG]

2. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Great photos, where's the male at? Obviously she mated with an IB as the babies are brown.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    BS mated with most colors would produce brown chicks. (Blues) Charmain is a blue bs, so if mated with any non bs. all chicks will be blue ,unless she is split to another color.

Now if the peacock was a sexlink color ,then all females would be that color....

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hey............ where's the peep? [​IMG] I love the backside diving shot of those peachicks... too funny.

5. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Amazing [​IMG]

Thanks for posting them!

6. draftiemama

draftiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Florida
    Nathhowe, the males are milling around, their job is done as far as they're concerned.[​IMG]

Deerman, thanks for the color breakdown, before I came here (BYC) and read yours and others posts about color, I had hoped for something other than IB from Charmain, I didn't know any better. Seeing that I'm not in the breeding business and only have 2 IB peacocks and 1 BS peahen, I guess I'll only be getting blue chicks.

Here's a couple more butt shots for you chickenzoo.[​IMG]

Taken tonight, yay they're now sleeping off the dangerous ground!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look carefully, there's a peep in the trees.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by