1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Charming Chicken House

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chick Charm, Mar 23, 2015.

1. I though I would have a go at using reclaimed pallet wood. It has turned out nicer than I expected.

I milled the trim from thicker pieces of the pallet. The whole exterior is pallet wood. I framed it with 2X2's (new & not from pallets) and put cedar shims for the roofing.

Give me your opinions.

I will work on a run/base in the next week or so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    That is beautiful. How are you going to finish it? Stain, paint, let go natural.

4. I think I will add a light stain. No paint on this one. Though I do want to protect the wood.

5. It all started out as these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    that's awesome right there! very nice!

7. Under $50 invested. Pallets can be very useful & cheap. However it was very time consuming and labor intensive. It is like piecing together a puzzle as no boards were straight or alike.

8. I don't recommend using a planet as there are many hidden staples or nails. It will ruin the blades on your planer.

9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    It looks great![​IMG]

10. Thank you.

Now time will tell how well built it is. I'm thinking this wood is very durable but have nothing to reference too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by