Chased a coyote away after a dream about a dead chicken!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dsvabulas, Aug 27, 2010.

1. dsvabulas

dsvabulas Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Grafton MA
    This is gonna be a problem. Will a BB gun be enough to keep it away? Hens making their usual 'we want breakfast' ruckus. When I looked out to tell them I was coming, a gorgeous, ivory colored, very healthy 'yote was at their run, grinning at them with his tongue hanging out. He just looked at me for a moment when I yelled "Coyote, get out" then took off. I sent the dog out, who was very excited and returned within minutes, with no barking in the woods or anything. Looking for other peoples' experiences. Oh, and I did have a dream this morning that there was one dead hen in the run. My second 'premonition' dream about my girls....strange. I usually let them free-range at sundown for an hour or so. Now I can't. Unless....

2. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    He will just get more brave. Gonna have to kill it before he kills your chickens.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow... that's my dream... to have one stand still while I have time to get the rifle loaded!

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Wow! Yep I'd be pegging that yote off quick before he dines at the all u can eat chicken joint. Funny how dreams work, I had a dream I left one of my EE hens outside when I locked up the coop for the night, 2 days later a hawk got her [​IMG]

5. dsvabulas

dsvabulas Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Grafton MA
    Yes, I had a dream during an afternoon nap that they had gotten out of their temporary, moveable run by knocking one side over and were all over the yard. Woke up, looked out the window, and there they were running around the yard with the side of the pen knocked over. This dream it was a dead bedraggled golden comet laying in the yard. So I know to be on high alert. Don't have a gun or a gun permit, but buried the hardware cloth 6 inches where I could. Hard digging, it's all tree roots around the run. I do have couple dozen cinder blocks I will put around bottom of run.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, the coyote will return. Be careful of sending your dog after it. Coyotes have been known to lure a dog away so that the rest of the pack can kill and eat them.

7. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Quote:I totally agree, be careful...

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Listen to what your dreams are telling you. You must feel there is a problem with your chickens' security and it's being expressed subconsciously. [​IMG]

9. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Sounds like its time to secure the dog and get ya a live trap bait it with chicken from the store chicken livers or something of that nature. then be ready to dispatch it when its caught. How come I never get lucky and have coyotes here? We hear them all night long I been here for 4 years and I have only seen one pup crossing the road 1 mile from the house. Its so not fair. My dogs would Just love to play with the yotes [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:... be careful what you wish for ![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by