chased a hawk out of my yard on foot!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by imaturtlefan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    We have this inctredibly large hawk here, there are actually 2 or 3 of them, they hunt together, but only one is this brazen. It has taken birds right in front of me, attempted to right in front of me, and even flew into my front door after one on my porch once. I know the only way to keep my birds completely protected is to lock them up, which I do at night, but the main reason I got them is for tick control. My place was infested, you couldnt walk through the yard, and the chickens have made my yard pleasant for us thanks to their munching on the nasty things.
    Anyway, so Im working in the yard yesterday, and my momma hen and chicks and a couple others were milling around in the yard near me, and I saw the hawk coming, I dropped what was in my hand, the hawk missed on the first swoop, which swent the chicks running. The hawk was about to make a 2nd swoop, I literally ran on foot, as fast as I could and chased the thing out of the yard. It stopped mid swoop and took off over the neighbors woods. Ive never seen anything like it. Its just not afraid of us. Ive tried the shotgun (to scare, not to shoot it) and fireworks. It will leave and fly where I can see it, and just circle till I go inside then come back to the yard. UGH!!! Its weird, but it somehow manages to target my most beloved, favorite birds, and/or my kids pet birds everytime.

2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Is it against the law to shoot it where you are?

3. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Leahs Mom...keep in mind it is illegal (by Federal law) to harass, kill or harm ANY bird of prey. Just for your information in case you were not aware.

4. imaturtlefan

Mar 31, 2011
    It is illegal to shoot them here, as I said, I was not shooting it, but it is not illegal to scare it away... they actually make products for that purpose, I do check up on my laws, and am an animal lover, of all kinds, including those who eat my pets, and I realize its just their nature, but no, I am not doing anything illegal.

5. imaturtlefan

Mar 31, 2011
  6. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    As much to your dislike you might have to keep them locked in the run for awhile, can't say for how long exactly. Hawks will stick around if they know a food source is available.

7. imaturtlefan

Mar 31, 2011
    I locked them up for a few months once...unfortunately they live around very close...my house is surrounded by woods, and our woods surrounded by farmland, so its perfect hunting ground whether my chickens are loose or not, they will not go away :( Everytime I drive anywhere, there are hawks sitting on wires scoping out the area, they are very very common here. Ive come to the conclusion I just have to accept I will have losses from time to time, and protect them when I can. I am home most of the time, and working outside, so Ive been able to prevent them from taking any many times. Im just curious if anyone else ever had one so aggressive, and so unafraid of humans.

8. imaturtlefan

Mar 31, 2011
    The ticks are really bad, I know of at least 2 kids who have died in the past year in my area from diseases from ticks. As much as I love my chickens, my kids come first. I also dont want to use chemicals to control the ticks, as that would not be good for my kids, chickens, dogs, or any of the other wildlife in my yard.

9. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Depending on your area, you might be able to get a permit to shoot the hawk, especially if you can prove it is a threat to your livestock. If all else fails. I'm just saying, guys...I'd shoot one without a permit if it tried to carry off my miniature dachshund and then just suffer the consequences. But obviously, exhaust all of the more humane options first.

10. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by