Chasing Chicken

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jonmac, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Jonmac

Jonmac New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    Ireland
    Hiya,
    I've just got 2 RIRs and a Maran, young birds not yet laying. It appears that the RIRs are making mad charges at nothing, neck feathers ruffled and then come to a sudden stop. Also one of the birds, don't know which yet, is depositing clear / white droppings. They all three seem lively and happy otherwise.
    Thanks

John

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My BO did that for the longest time, doing a hop skip and a jump peck charge at nothing. Then she stood stock still and jumped into the air and squawked. (Which made the rooster go crazy.) She didn't turn out to be a rooster, and she doesn't do it (as often!) now that she lays eggs. Just a funny little habit they do, I don't think it is a problem.

3. Jonmac

Jonmac New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    Ireland
    [​IMG]
    I brought a lovely Light Sussex into the pen, but the other three were quite aggressive with her. I have enclosed her within the pen with this cage. I'll pop her in the coop at night and until they settle down with her Ill isolate her each morning.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Very nice coop! [​IMG] I just witnessed, the other day, a couple of my girls, fighting! [​IMG] Now, mind you, they've been together for over 2 years! I wonder what would make them do that? They just started laying again, a couple weeks ago too, when the weather got colder. I guess, they are like me, and prefer the colder weather, huh? Thanks for sharing.

5. Jonmac

Jonmac New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    Ireland
    Thanks for that. We bought 3 hens last September, and got one of those '8 bird' coops. The run was so small I felt sorry for them, so I built an extension. This also didn't look the part so I decided to buy some 3x2s and some welded wire and put this 8'x10' run together. I used the housing from the original, and cut a hole in the wire for the nest boxes to protrude. It means I can collect the eggs without going into the run. The cage in the pen is the extension I made, which has come in handy. The two RIRs are ok with the Sussex, but the Maran defends the feeding trough with her ruffles. I've taken the cage out now and there's a tense calm about the place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by