1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chasing Chickens...LOL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EnonChickenDaddy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. EnonChickenDaddy

EnonChickenDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Chester, VA
    When we are around the house, I let them free range in our small yard. When we are gone away the girls stay in the run. Sometimes when we want to go, they don't want to cooperate. They are having too much fun to go in. Sometimes I wonder which of my neighbors are watching and laughing as I chase them round and round the coop/run trying to get them in:weee. My wife has admitted to watching and laughing as she watches from the kitchen window. My 5 girls are about 8 weeks old and just don't feel like going in sometimes.[​IMG]

2. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    They'll go in when the sun is going down.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

If you want them in earlier get them used to coming for corn treats. Say here chick chick chick and then throw corn down so they get to know that when you call that they get treats. Thats how I get mine to go in before sundown [​IMG] It works GREAT! you will have to do that for a few time so they get to know the call and then they will go in for you NO problem [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep train them to go in for treats, whatever treats they like best.

5. sabella

sabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Newnan Ga
    Every time I fed my birds I talked to them and said "chikkie babies!" or "Chook chook chook". Now when I call they all come running. Give them a trigger word and it'll make you life so much easier.

I also didn't let them range till they were 18 weeks old. By then they knew me and my call well enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by