Chaz or Chastity?? Expert Eyes needed!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sniggle, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Sniggle

Sniggle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    I've got a nearly 18 week old Delaware who I am just not sure about. "She" is quite a bit bigger & has more waddle than my other Del hen, and she is definitely more aggressive. She has little spurs but I've had hens that had big spurs so I don't think that is a good indicator. She also looks 'meaner' than the other one. Will some of you more experienced 'sexers' take a look at her & let me know what you think? The first three pictures of of the 'hen' in question, the last one is of my other hen who I am certain is a girl.

Here's my other Delaware hen:

I have heard no crowing & I would think I would have by now...I am hoping she is just a BIG hen & not a boy!
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Sure looks like a Chastity to me... maybe she's just confused about her gender? [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  3. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] she might be a he, cause we had a rooster that was a VERY late bloomer, and he looked just like a hen! (the top one)
  4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    My Coop
    Looks like a Chasity to me
  5. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Chasity. [​IMG] Very pretty girls!!
  6. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Chastity - the black in a Deli roo's tail is barred, not solid
  7. Sniggle

Sniggle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    I did not know that SpiritDance - I looked all over online at rooster pics & it sure does seem like the Delaware roosters all have barred tails - I am totally new to this breed so I don't have a clue - thanks everybody for your comments! I surely hope she is a she [​IMG] I am just surprised at how different she looks than the other hen, & her tail seems more upright & I was thinking there were saddle-feathers coming in...I've been wrong before & I am so glad that it appears I am wrong this time!
  8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Hen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by