Chcikens Eating Eggs. Help! Please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countryboy1, Oct 21, 2009.

1. countryboy1

countryboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Waterloo Illinois
    My chickens keep eating my eggs and can't get them to stop what should I do. I don't really want to have to butcher a chicken.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    First step: collect eggs very often.
    Step 2: give them wooden eggs.
    If all else fails, set up a rollout nest.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I read recently in the ABA news letter, that if you put bitter apple in an blown egg shell with cayenne pepper it works. I haven't tried it, but it worth a try,

Bitter apple the stuff you use to stop dogs from chewing

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    You might want to try upping their protein level somehow--with high protein treats such as sunflower seeds, meal worms, low salt fish, small amounts of high quality cat food. And make sure they have access to oyster shell even if they are on layer feed so the shells are good and hard. Make sure the nests have lots of straw so they are protected from breakage. And give them stuff to do, like leaves or weeds, or cabbage heads, along with the other advice....

5. Nancyjane

Nancyjane Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    I'm having the same problem!
    I have tried HOT cayenne pepper, which they ate right up! Apparently they don't taste HOT.
    Golf balls and wooden eggs- nada
    Blown out eggs filled with dish soap- slowed them down, then just laid the eggs and ate them!
    Cat food- no difference
    The latest is (according to the lady at the feed store) vitamin K defficiency, feed them boiled eggs chopped up. We'll see.
    They also get ground up egg shells, greens and tomatoes from the garden. Lady at the feed store said they seem well fed. Didn't think I needed the oyster shell.
    If the boiled eggs don't work, I'll be giving them away for pets:/
    Good luck with yours! Nancy

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    make your nest area as dark as possible. I even saw something once where they put those really cheep car floor mats the really thin ones up on the fronts of the nests.

Maybe cut some slits up so they can get in easier.

It makes it much harder for them to see the eggs. They hopefully wont eat what they cant see.

My nest are pretty dark and I have never had this problem.

Sorry and good luck [​IMG]

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    in the article I read, said they tried just cayenne pepper too. it also didn't work for them, they tried everything else the wood eggs, darker, curtains, it wasn't till they added the bitter apple that something worked.

8. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Wasabi works. Its a weird bitter taste, but spicy too! It works well!
    [​IMG]

9. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mustard is what I've heard, and no, they don't care about 'hot' at all, they'll chow right down on hot peppers or pepper flakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by