Chckens butt has problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lucidmom, Jan 28, 2013.

1. lucidmom

lucidmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    There is something wrong with one of our chickens butts. This morning there was what looked like a deformed egg hanging from a large mass of tissue, or a hemeroid, on the outside of her butt. It was brown like an egg, but soft, and it was stuck to something. I pulled it off, and my husband pushed the tissue back into her butt. Now she is walking around with her pulling it in and pushing it out, almost like she needs to poo, or lay an egg. He ran his finger around her hole, hoping that if there were another egg he could get her to push it out, but he didn't feel anything. What can we do for her? Do we just wait it out and hope for the best? Help!!

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

If she prolapsed(thats what it sounds like) you should seperate her from the others and give her a little time to heal. the muscles may need to repair a little before it will all stay in. seperating her will make it easier to keep an eye on her to watch for infection, in case she tore and her hind end got dirty.

hopefully someone else will chime in here too.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    As Bleenie says.. keep her separated, preferably in a dark place, smother her vent with honey or Prep-H and attempt to push her prolapse back inside her, it may take several attempts, you may also want to dose her with an antibiotic as she risks infection from her prolapse.

Suzie

4. lucidmom

lucidmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    We brought her inside, gave her a warm spray of water on her backside to clean her up. Put her in a box with hay and food, and put honey on it. I also pushed her vent back inside,(which is a first in the 3 years we have owned chickens) it came out again but we kinda expected that. How long till she heals? Will we have trouble re-intergrating her into the flock? Thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by