Cheap Alternative To Reptipro 5000 Works Amazing!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zyklonbetty, Sep 29, 2011.

1. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    So before I bought my Reptipro 5000, I decided I would not do so without an egg turner, WHICH THEY DO MAKE FOR THE REPTIPRO 5000.
    On the Reptipro website the turner and incubator totals $314 I decided to look at ebay (of course.)

I found (from Reptipro) an incubator/turner combo auction for 209$ with free shipping. That saves (assuming that the bidding doesn't go up) 105$!!!!

I was reading reviews of the Reptipro 5000, and someone mentioned they had one on the think geek website for 100$ (not with turner obviously.)
    The one on that website was smaller so it just depends on your needs. Upon reading those reviews I noticed people saying that it is a good fridge (which is EXACTLY what it is, a mini-fridge/warmer) but that there are several companies that sell them for cheaper (same fridge but without the Reptipro sticker.)

...back to ebay.

There is a listing for a mini-fridge/warmer for 88$ OBO (plus 9$ shipping for a total of 97$.) THEY WILL ACCEPT 80$ AS AN OFFER.
    that takes our total up to 89$ for EXACTLY the same thing. Same exact specs, looks exactly the same but it is red and not grey (and there is no reptipro sticker.)

I tried to best-offer reptipro for their egg turner (that IS FOR the Reptipro 5000 so fits EXACTLY inside of the red one we will refer to a mini-fridge,) but they did not allow for it and I had to pay asking price.

my GRAND total was...

80.00 for mini-fridge
    9.99 for mini fridge shipping (which got here in 2 days!)
    69.97 for egg turner
    11.60 for shipping for egg turner (took 4 days and not packaged very well...directly from reptipro)
    1.64 for foam for the gap between shelf and door (just cut and hot glue)
    _________
    173.20$

I did have to dremel a small notch for the egg turner cord to allow for the door to latch on the mini-fridge.

I would say that if you are going to try the reptipro...TRY THIS FIRST. if you dont like it then absolute worst you spend 35.80 less if you get it for 209 on ebay, and if you DO like it, you got it for almost 150$ cheaper than what the reptipro website sells them for.

So far, I would recommend it to anyone and with small changes there are no problems for poultry.
    I really don't think it necessarily fair to claim that it is not right to use because it isn't MADE for chickens(poultry,) because I have a little giant incubator that I use for snake eggs.... Whatever works to bring these little guys into the world shouldn't make a difference.
    I bet the guy that invented the styrofoam cooler sure didn't see 1/2 of the things coming that people use them for!

Here is the link for the ebay mini-fridge
    if it expires i just search mini-fridge warmer cooler 25L .88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-25L-Dor...07509749?pt=Refrigerators&hash=item43a98eb0f5

GOOD LUCK!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Let us know how it works. I don't know what your egg turner looks like or if it would even fit. but TSC has a little giant one for 44$

3. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Hi! So does the egg turner fit ok? Also are you putting in a thermostat? It says it heats to 65 degress is that right? I would love to see how this will work for you.[​IMG]

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

aww i wish i found this a week ago. i was looking for a cheap one of these! and i spent all my money on a cheap incubator, and it cost me more than what i would have spent on that. thanks for posting. now i know the name for future refernce. [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm curious to find out how warm it will get.

6. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    It operates from 36-140 degrees fahrenheit. you program the temp into the digital display and it blinks to let you know that it is heating/cooling. it automatcally heats/cools to maintain programmed temp.

the reptipro 5000 egg turner fits perfectly.

7. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    So, then ... hmmm. This would also cool the eggs to the 50* or so that you're supposed to store at while you're saving up a clutch. And keep turning them for you at the same time.

Intrrrrrrrrrrrrresting. Very very intrrrrrrrrrrresting.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Wouldnt it be easier to get a Brower top hatch?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  10. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I would seriously love to see pics of this in your completed stage. Sounds awesome!

How many eggs can you fit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by