1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cheap coop designs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smw18, Mar 2, 2012.

1. smw18

smw18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    Well, mine is being built from the basic of a horse stall.
    Though, my sister who I am raise her chicks until they are old enough to go outside, does not have the benefits of a barn. So I am trying to help her by finding cheap ways to build and coop and pen

2. how many does she have?
    and she does want them outside right? not inside?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    yes outside and she has 11 right now but I am trying to get one away from here that I have just fallen in love with! Worse come to worse 11

4. you could use a few old dog houses, or just a wooden box ( big one) off the ground, with a little roost and 4 boxes in it for nests.

5. smw18

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    Thats a good idea thank you so much. Later she will be putting up a much more elaborate plan later

6. it would be temporary, bc it would just be a wooden box, big enough till they grew bigger.

7. Jbrandt000

Jbrandt000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Once the eggs hatch, I put them in plastic file folders I got from Staples. They are all clear plastic with a black frame that comes apart and the tray slides out easily to clean. One 40 watt light bulb keeps them nice an cozy, plus it is real easy to clean out each day. Then after a few weeks, I take them to the chicken house where I found an old sliding glass door and made sides with plywood to support he glass door. A heat lamp keeps everybody warm. As they get bigger, I have a door in one side I open to let them in a small 2ft by 3ft pen so they can see the bigger chickens and watch them. Then, after awhile I remove the little pen and let them run in and out as they please. A little at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by