Cheap Coop Ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mkhenderson17, Jun 28, 2011.

1. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Ok, So Im in a bit of a dilemma. I have to make a coop for my bantams fast. They used to free range but now I need to make a coop. I have fence so Im fine with the run just need cheap coop ideas. Right now they are in large crates in my barn but that is not adequate for them long term. I only have 4 bantams left but I want to get somewhere around 8 to 10 again. I have access to those bulk plastic storage containers. My mom wants to connect a bunch of them but Im not convinced on the idea. Does anyone have any ideas for CHEAP coops (like really cheap, Im a poor college student [​IMG]) ? Thanks in advanced!

2. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    We went cheap, we built ours from pallets and scrap metal, depending on where you are at you can look on craigslist or freecycle and ask for scrap wood/metal/pallets, your local newspaper station gets pallets and local furniture store, just ask around, we saw a pile of scrap lumber behind a business and we asked the manager if we can have it and he was delighted to see the pile go. You can even go to your Habitat restore for materials. I was also told you can go to your local lowes or home depot, even lumber stores and ask for miscut wood or any damaged pieces and they sell them to you real cheap.

We broke the pallets apart and created our floor, you can do lots with pallets [​IMG] , then we placed 4 posts for our corners and framed it out, wrapped it around in metal cutting out holes for windows and pop door.

I have seen people do their coops in nothing but pallets, just make sure you have corner posts and braces to support it.

I would be iffy with plastic due to over time they become brittle and crack, how big are the plastic containers?

[​IMG]

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have hear of recycling pallets also, I believe there is a link here somewhere for it, we converted part of our barn...or maybe a Sears tool shed, I have seen that done also...large dog house? Good Luck!

4. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    The plastic is very very thick. Like almost half an inch. It measures 36w x 40Lx 44H. We were going to cut out and hinge doors and windows. but Im just nor sure. Here is a link to what they look like http://www.paulblattenterprisesinc.com/material_handling.php WE TAKE THEM OUT OF THE WIRE and use them for sheds for our goats and LGD dog. They all can get into the barn anytime but they seem to like a quick shed to jump into when it rains. We have them placed in our fields opposite side of the barn.

If I hook 3 together My bantams will have more than enough room but Im still not 100% sure. I really like the pallet idea [​IMG]. The coop for my bantams does not have to be walk in. there are plus and minus of the plastic containers. One plus is they have lots of natural light, we painted the sides of a few to make them look nicer but left the top light.

Thanks for the Ideas!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by