1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cheap Coop Ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Swim Skinny, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Swim Skinny

Swim Skinny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    I have a friend with roughly 40 chickens and limited shelter for them. He is out of work and disabled with no assistance. Currently his primary source of food are his chickens, eggs, and other small farm animals. I want to help him provide shelter for his animals and birds. Any ideas on cheap coop-shelter construction would be appreciated!! Thanks

2. ShellLea

ShellLea Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    Canton, Ohio
    Do a search on here for pallet coops. I think that's the way I'm going since you can get them for free from a lot of businesses. You can also check out Craigslist and Freecycle for free or low cost materials. Good luck!

3. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    The wood pallets would probably be your best cheap option.

Another listed below but would require a small investment for awhile but you would see a return on your money.

Hay or straw bales! Stake up the bales using the same method as building a igloo. It would be very insulated for winter and later the hay or straw can be used as bedding or resold.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. feather13

feather13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    I second the craigslist or free cycle post. Our coop was purchased new off eBay for $100, our dog run was purchased off craigslist for $100 (covered with a cheap tarp and hardware cloth), the coop sits on an old door and four concrete blocks so it's not on the ground (free), and we built "lofts" with two shelves and a wood ladder (free). I think it would be possible to built a predator-proof coop and run very cheaply or for free if you have some minor carpentry skills and a few tools. Zip ties are my best friend and I use them when nails or screws won't work. You'd have to replace them a few times a year, but they're quick and pretty durable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by