Cheap Coop Ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happycamperkid, Mar 3, 2013.

1. happycamperkid

happycamperkid Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2012
    So we are looking for some cheep(see what I did there, sorry I couldn't resist) ideas for our chicken coop, we currently have 2 chickens but are probably thinking of having 6-10 chickens total. We live in central North Carolina so it has to hold up in all weather conditions. It also needs good ventilation. Thanks for your time![​IMG] We are also thinking about chicks![​IMG]

2. dadtochickenfan

dadtochickenfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I have become a huge fan of using wood pallets for alot of things. They are easy to find, free and easy to build with

3. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop
    We used old pain from the house, but also look into either mis-tinted paint or orphaned paint from the hardware store. We got a gallon or paint for $5! You can also buy "culled" lumber and building products from lumber yards that are either not completely square or have cosmetic issues that customers won't buy at a hugely discounted price.

4. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Building your own coop is cheap and so much fun. Wood pallets is a great way to go you can probably can do that for super cheap. What I did was use a pallet, a kids old play house, an old headboard, and so on. Then my neighor moved out and gave us three large wood dresses and a headboard. That's enough for another 5-6 bird chicken coop and a small duck coop. I just ask people who are renovating thier homes and what not for scraps. When I get my fence in put I will also be using the old fence pieces as well since they aren't that old. So really decide what style you want and go from there! Good luck and show some pics once you get your idea going.

5. happycamperkid

Mar 23, 2012
    Thank you all so much. I've been doing some more research and I think I will go with the wood pallets.[​IMG]We will also be getting little chicks as soon as possible.[​IMG]

6. Ehirning

Ehirning Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2012
    Pallets are awesome! I've now built two coops and a goat barn with pallets. Here's a pic of my newest (and the goat barn next door):
    [​IMG]

7. happycamperkid

Mar 23, 2012
    Love it ehirning.... I want more animals... but were just getting about 6-7 chicks this year..... LOVE THOSE FLUFFBALLS!!

8. Ehirning

Ehirning Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2012
    Thanks. Chicken math always comes into play. I started with 4 last summer and now have 41 [​IMG]. They are so much fun to just sit and watch (and you get eggs)!

9. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    That is aweome I need to get some pallets and finish up my second coop. It's not just the chickens that are addicting but building creative coops that is addicting as well it's so much fun, especially knowing that no one has a coop like me and mine are all inspected by the chief police in order to maintain and renew my poultry license.

10. happycamperkid

Mar 23, 2012
    We just got the chicks tonight and they are so cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by