Cheap Coop Lighting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ravenzero, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    I dont have windows in my Coop and notice it gets really dark in there, Whats a cheap lighting solution you all would use? I was thinking this....

[​IMG]

What you all think? Any suggestions?

2. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    never seen such a thng. Well not with the light bulb anyways. I got the dome looking one, on batteries, push it and it turns on, but I got it for cheap , and it doesnt work. ha ha

Why no windows in your coop ??

3. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Quote:I'm too cheap to add one, lol, I can add one later though, when i have a few bucks

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    We have one in our coat closet. Not much light. The bulb is plastic and durable.
    I vote for second hand windows and a flashlight by the door.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Stick some windows in that coop! You don't need to buy premade windows. Just use a sawzaw or jigsaw (or if you're good with a circular saw...) and cut out some squares or rectangles, then nail or screw (w/washers to hold on) hardware cloth over the openings. If you want it to look cute, then frame the outside with 1x4s or something... In winter screw plexiglass or lexan over the openings [​IMG] My big coop has 'real' windows, but my bantam coop just has hardware cloth windows. They are framed because I insulated, but if I hadn't insulated, I wouldn't have framed them...
    [​IMG]
    As for the light, even places like Kroger sells little battery operated pushlights that work pretty well. Or you could get a cheap set of solar lights - keep the solar collector in a good place just outside the coop and put a few of the lights inside...they'll go out by 1 or 2am and on again the next evening...

6. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:X2
    Love the coop and framing on the windows.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:X2
    Love the coop and framing on the windows.

Thanks! [​IMG] It was built with girl power! (errr..woman power [​IMG])

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

How about using those cheap solar sidewalk lights. Just set them where they can charge.

Sounds like you need to get some openings in that coop too so it's not too hot and full of ammonia fumes, bad for you and can kill your birds

9. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I put electricity in mine. Love it!

10. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    we ran electricity to our thanks to DH. But I think a screen door might be nice in the summer. You can find them pretty cheap at home improvement places or even a yard sale. You get the light and ventilation in the summer. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by