Cheap Coop Lighting

ravenzero

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Vancouver WA
I dont have windows in my Coop and notice it gets really dark in there, Whats a cheap lighting solution you all would use? I was thinking this....

stick_up_bulb.jpg

What you all think? Any suggestions?

never seen such a thng. Well not with the light bulb anyways. I got the dome looking one, on batteries, push it and it turns on, but I got it for cheap , and it doesnt work. ha ha

Why no windows in your coop ??

We have one in our coat closet. Not much light. The bulb is plastic and durable.
I vote for second hand windows and a flashlight by the door.

Stick some windows in that coop! You don't need to buy premade windows. Just use a sawzaw or jigsaw (or if you're good with a circular saw...) and cut out some squares or rectangles, then nail or screw (w/washers to hold on) hardware cloth over the openings. If you want it to look cute, then frame the outside with 1x4s or something... In winter screw plexiglass or lexan over the openings
smile.png
My big coop has 'real' windows, but my bantam coop just has hardware cloth windows. They are framed because I insulated, but if I hadn't insulated, I wouldn't have framed them...
37862_april_8_032.jpg

As for the light, even places like Kroger sells little battery operated pushlights that work pretty well. Or you could get a cheap set of solar lights - keep the solar collector in a good place just outside the coop and put a few of the lights inside...they'll go out by 1 or 2am and on again the next evening...

How about using those cheap solar sidewalk lights. Just set them where they can charge.

Sounds like you need to get some openings in that coop too so it's not too hot and full of ammonia fumes, bad for you and can kill your birds

we ran electricity to our thanks to DH. But I think a screen door might be nice in the summer. You can find them pretty cheap at home improvement places or even a yard sale. You get the light and ventilation in the summer. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom