1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cheap coop weatherproofing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by glib, Dec 21, 2007.

1. glib

glib Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2007
    I will make it short. What is the cheapest way to roof and side a coop? I did do the vinyl siding on my garage once, but that was 11 yrs ago, so consider me inexperienced.

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    What is the cheapest way to roof and side a coop?

Cheapest is roll roofing.

Best and cheap is tin on roof and plywood siding, painted or tin​

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    i agree with txchiknranchers advice on material. i would go with tin for durability.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I used the rolled roofing material on mine works great. Not the prettiest coop on the block but the price was right.

[​IMG]

5. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    Poison Ivy,

That coop looks great! I might consider some roll roofing in the future.

What's underneath?

Matt

6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    ROLLED ROOF - OR MY FAVORITE - DUMPSTER DIVING IN A HOUSING CONSTRUCTION SITE.

Poisen Ivy - That is a GREAT COOP.
    If any thing it only looks unfinished.
    Trim it out in white paint and then it would be really cool if you could paint Poisen Ivy viens up the posts.

:) If ya do it ya have to show a picture.

7. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    We went with "poly something" better than fiberglass. It lets light in, but lasts a lot longer than fiberglass. Not the cheapest at time of purchase, but lasts a lot longer and looks better for longer. I have used it on my patio a few years ago. Here in northern california, we want light, but not heat, I found that these"poly whatever" panels are not that much more expensive, yet they come in different colors (we got four panels of white). We used four panels on the roof in order to let the light in and then used tin roofing for the rest. The inside of our chicken house is very bright, even though we havent put any windows in yet.

8. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    That is a nice looking coop Poison Ivy. A lot to be said for roll roofing. if it gets worn you can put tin right over the top of it.

If you paint those fascia and trim boards they will last a long time.

Randy

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Cheapest? I'd have to say pallets! I know at least one person on here has posted pictures and there are more on the web. Do a search on pallets and it should come up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by