1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Can you tell me how to make a cheap and easy coop for less than 100 dollars? I have 7 4 foot tall by 4 foot wide wood. I also want a run. I have small space, must be easy for a 18 year old to make.

2. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    well get some chicken wire and some metal t posts for the run, and some plywood and twobyfours for the coop itself.. its what i did on my new one.

3. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Look on craigslist for scrap lumber leftover from construction sites, and you can just grab some nails from the hardware store! (I made my first coop/run when I was 15 in this way) Just be logical and put supports where it's needed.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    If you got 4x4 plywood, make a cube out of it. Youll need some other scraps as frame to screw into. My doghouse doesnt have a complete frame, I just used 1x1's to bring and hold the edge of each piece together. Unless you cut the back down, you will have a flat roof.

5. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Quote:PLEASE....don't use chicken wire...it will only keep chickens in....it will not keep predators out!

6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Don't Buy 2X4's
    If you cant find any scrap wood
    By 2X2's they will work well for small coop
    I just made a small coop for Stephs Polish and I bought 8 2X2.
    You will need to scrounge up hinges for a door.
    You will need some Treated wood or maybe Garden Landscape timbers for the base.

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
  8. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    A note on the 2x2 posts, if you can get by with ones that are only 46" then you can buy treated banister posts (edges are rounded) for about a buck a piece at a home depot/lowes type store.

9. motherhen

motherhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Halifax, NS
    If you can get a hold of old palletts you can slap it together and sheath the out side with your sheets of wood. I made mine with palletts and other discarded items. I even used log poles I gathered from the woods as material because I had it around. I even stuffed styrofoam from packing inside the walls. I had to spend money on the netting and hardware and I pretty it up with wooden shingles fairly cheap. If you use your imagination you don't need to spend a lot. Also, try asking neigbours or look around during garbage day for material.
    The pen was enclosed with 1/2" wire that looked like chicken wire, but it wasn't called that.

10. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I just Started this Coop Yesterday, For a Coop Like this only a little bigger like you wanted
    could be done for about $100.
    You will need 3 peices of Plywood about 12 2X3's, three treated 2X4's, two sizes of screws, hinges/latch
    Figure it out in your own head I could be a little off.

ALL MOST DONE. This is for one Reg Polish & 3 Bantam Polish.
    I STILL HAVE TO PUT THE SHINGLES ON. They are just laying there.
    I Need to Paint/Stain it
    And I still need to add the front doors. This coop is 30 inchesX4 feet and the wire pen is the same size.
    I used 2 sheets of ply wood. Everything cost me $75.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by