cheap, EASY foundation ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Angelight, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    I've seen some people place their coop legs in cinder blocks and fill with concrete. Is that really enough weight to keep it from blowing over? We do get hurricanes here, as well as tornadoes and nasty storms. So far, we haven't had a tornado nor have we lost any of our furniture, etc. to the wind. I'm guessing, though, that with the size of the coop walls (4x4) that a good gust will blow it over. I can't do a ton as far as digging and such. Any ideas? I want them (and my investment) safe. Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you're talking about a 4 X 4 raised coop, set the posts in concrete a couple of feet deep.
    A small square isn't stable enough to stand up to a lot of wind.

Another alternative would be to use at least 4 ground anchors

3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    +1

If you don't want to dig post holes and fill with cement, you could add angles to the corner posts and pound long anchor rods into the ground. This is what we did for our 20' tall metal frame windmill (it supplies aeration for the pond). It has withstood 70+ mph winds for many years.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My coops are shielded by my shop and many large oak trees. I set the coop's legs on concrete pads on the ground. I would not expect the surface winds to be too great 6 feet off the ground here. So much vegetation and such breaks up the wind.

Out in the open, I would just set posts a couple of feet into the ground and backfill with tamped gravel..

No hurricanes here, but tornadoes destroy anything and everything regardless of its construction.

Chris

5. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    I did not realize just how much the wind is broken up before it gets down there to it until yesterday. It sits at the bottom of a hill, facing my home (which is at the top) and above ground pool. On two sides of it, about 3 feet away, are privacy fence and woods. On the third side, it is open for about 100yds, at which point there is more privacy fencing and woods. We went with the block and concrete filler. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by