1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cheap egg cartons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bullyshowgirl, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bullyshowgirl

Bullyshowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Dixon IL
    I just found egg cartons on sale at our local Tractor supply for .29 each. Should I stock up or is there a better price out there?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Whether you want to stock up there or can find a better price will depend on a few things - do you have enough birds that you are going to need to purchase large quantities? Those large quantities can often be found online for lower prices because of the volume being purchased.
    An alternative is to look for free cartons - if you ask friends/family/church group/co-workers/etc to save you their cartons from store bought eggs you can often find yourself flooded with cartons in no time. Ads on FB or CL can also be a good way to get a stock of cartons from others.

1 person likes this.
  3. I agree with Ol Grey Mare. We have many friends that give us their egg cartons so we are never low on them now. But it all depends on how many chickens you have, and how many people are giving egg cartons to you.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I agree also. My grandmother and uncle keep us VERY well stocked with cartons. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you're just selling to friends you can reuse cartons....if you're selling to the public, your local authority might dictate that you use new unlabeled cartons.

6. Bullyshowgirl

Mar 28, 2015
    Dixon IL
    You guys were right...made some calls and the cartons are drifting in :) Thanks for the suggestions!

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Good news!
    Another option (that I have used at times when my regulars have not been good about returning their cartons regularly so my stock dwindles) is to store the eggs in a bowl, box, etc and only fill cartons as they are needed (vs having to have enough cartons to store every single egg).

8. Bullyshowgirl

Mar 28, 2015
    Dixon IL
    That's a great idea.

9. That's what I do Ol Grey Mare.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what I store my eggs in. Then when it's full I know I have about two dozen to package.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't like the bulk storage, I keep them in order of lay to rotate freshness.

I find I have to tell people I don't need more cartons as I get deluged with them as soon as folks find out I have chickens....
    ......they want to give you cartons, but not buy eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by