cheap feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by toddkuna, Jan 8, 2011.

1. toddkuna

toddkuna New Egg

Jan 8, 2011
    We raised birds for several years--8 or 9.. We discovered a great way to cut the feed bill was to go to a nearby farmer that buys wheat from farmers that actually raise it, then they clean and reship the stuff. Part of what the processor does is to screen the grain, producing tons of off-size grains called "screenings".We could buy this stuff for about $10. /100.lbs. Compare to your bagged products @10-13$/50 lbs. See where I'm going with this? At first we'd try to crack the wheat for the birds but quit. They prospered reguardless. I ended up buying it by the truckload, as it was the way to go.

2. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    I get floor sweepings from my local mill. I have gotten corn, wheat, oats and a ground corn DDG soy mix. I have to bag it up but, I pay $50 a ton. Thats 2.5 cents a pound. My chickens and pigs do very well on it.

3. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    welcome to BYC toddkuna !!!!!! sounds like you got the feed thing squared away !!!!!

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I just wish we had grain mills in the desert...

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:Great idea! I'm looking to get a few pigs. How long does a ton last for you?

-Nate

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] wish we had feed mills around here also, what great prices.

7. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Quote:Great idea! I'm looking to get a few pigs. How long does a ton last for you?

-Nate

I do not know how long a ton last I keep track of $$s only. When a pig goes out I figure it as $ per pound of meat. Last yr it cost me $125 to raise a pig. I have read it takes 700 to 900lbs to get one to market size (250lb).

8. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Holy cow that's a lot of food! That's the way to get them to butcher weight cheap!

-Nate

9. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Not to hijack this thread, but my SIL asked if she could use my property to raise 2 pigs this April. It sounds like you would spend about .50/lb to get a 250 lb pig to the butcher. How long does that take, generally? [​IMG]

10. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Exellent prices! I guess it could work if you had a large flock 25+ birds. Though would it be useful if you had 2-8 birds?
    Great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by