Cheap foie gras burgers in France for Christmas(goose related item)

welsummerchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Foie gras is one of the 'luxury foods' I always used to think was so dumb and snooty, right up there with truffles and caviar....until i tasted some. Oh my that is good eating, those French guys feeding those geese aren't wasting their time. So while we won't be jetting over to MacDonald's Paris for a burger this Christmas, we couldn't even afford to take a bus to Hoggy's, we did think it was funny. And goose related. Got any unusual eats that are your favorite? It doesn't have to be something you'd go so far as to buy a plane ticket for, LOL.

Last edited:
i had escargot on a cruise once and it was very tasty! i had a choice so i said "what the heck, try something new", and i'm glad i did.... haven't had it since but if i see it on a menu i won't wrinkle my nose at it like i used to
smile.png

Look into how the animal is raised and you would not be enjoying that foie gras as much. Animals force fed just to produce a giant liver.

Yuck.

Personally this ranks right up there with how commercial laying chickens and veal calves are kept.

I actually saw this type of burger on food network recently.... looked pretty good!
I wouldnt eat it though because of how they tube force feed the geese/ducks to get the liver fatty.... or whatever it is.
Just seems cruel to me.
Did look yummy though..
droolin.gif

Quote:
LOL.. I bet it did. Isnt it just kinda like a fancy mushroom?? Never tried it...

Quote:
LOL.. I bet it did. Isnt it just kinda like a fancy mushroom?? Never tried it...

Not so much fancy as rare. Seeing as how the only way you can get them is to follow wild boars around Europe and pick them up. I have heard they are more tasty in a bleu cheese chunk. I would try it if I see it. I am fairly adventerous with food. I hate sushi with a passion, LOVE escargot, steak and tuna tartar are nasty as all get out, ceviche is good with shrimp, don't care for the tilapia ceviche. I have had some nasty surprises and some really wonderful ones too.

People train pigs to find and root out truffles. It's not just wild pigs. The problem is that no one seems to have figured out how to cultivate truffles, so they have to be harvested wild. I believe they have a short season where they are harvestable, as well, but not sure on that one.

We love all kinds of food, as well. I, personally, love foie. Had an absolutely awesome foie custard at Olives restaruant in Cambridge a couple years back. Love escargot as well. Tuna and salman sushi are yummy. Steak and tuna tartare- if you don't want yours, pass it here, please! LOL Haven't tried ceviche yet, but hubby plans on making it at some point.

Next up on our culinary adventures list is offal. We get half a local pastured pig and part of a local grass fed beef cow about twice a year (in fact, just finished cutting up and freezing the pork on Wednesday!) and we get some of the less common stuff in there, also. So we're going to try it. We already make our own bacon, sausage, pancetta, and stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom