Cheap/free litter for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moonlyghtegirl, Feb 23, 2009.

1. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hi all,

I have just discovered that my baby chicks love paper I have put through my paper shredder!
    It seems to make great litter for them and gives me a method to recycle my shreds![​IMG]

Moonlyghtegirl

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I used cut up newspaper last spring. But since I will be having so many this year with my incubator, I might have to go to something else. It takes to long! But if I had a shredder.....

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

And if you use your confidential documents shredded for bedding, nobody's going to want to even try piecing it back together![​IMG]

The only issue I hear of is that it can get wet and matted down, and thus becomes a heavy clump to take out of the brooder.

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Just a thought on the subject. My 2 week old chicks will at least try to eat anything. I'm just wondering what the chemicals in the paper and ink would do to the chicks if they eat it. Just wondering, hopefully someone who knows more can chime in on this. Good Luck and welcome to BYC home of the obsessed chicken lovers.

5. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    Good thinking.

Make sure itÂ’s not to slick so they can get traction and not slip and fall and get splade leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by