Cheap (ha ha) chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rosebud75, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Rosebud75

Rosebud75 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Vt
  2. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    That would need lots of vents in it but otherwise I would buy one cause it looks pretty roomy for a few hens! And it is not extremely expensive.

3. Rosebud75

Jul 31, 2008
    Vt
    I wondered abotu that... she said they bought it because it is so insulating. But how would you put vents in it without giving the poor babies a draft?

4. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Can you post a picture of how your neighbor has customized it for her birds? I would love to see it in use as a chicken coop!! Is it predator proof?

5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    That's hardly cheap...

I made my first little coop for $250 in materials...

[​IMG]

And before that, I made a temporary coop/run out of an old twin wooden bedframe, chicken wire and some wood that I had laying around (almost no cost, I wish I had a better picture) and I still use it for young chicks before they are ready to mix with the flock...

[​IMG]

I guess what I'm saying is you can probably find something around the house that you can make a temporary coop with that would be just as good if not better than that....

Hope that was helpful...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. Rosebud75

Jul 31, 2008
    Vt
    She lives a bit far from me (Not my neighbor, my coworker's neighbor). She had it inside a dog pen. As for customization - I think she said they just screwed some nests to teh back of it. I don't remember if she put vents in it or not - I saw this months ago but it struck me. She had 4 chickens and 1 guinea.

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello,please do not west your money on it,plastic will get very hot on birds,plus for about $200 you can get some lumbe and have fun building your own,also some timesyou can check by your local lowe's or lumbe stor for some not perfect lumber an usually you get it for real chep.
    Good Luck
    Omran

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I built both my coops from free salvaged lumber from off of craigslist.org

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The birds are going to die, literally, in that thing.

The plastic is going to hold the heat like black asphalt in Texas summer.

The only way I see this working is by keeping the front open 24/7. In this case the run most be absolutely predator proof.

IMHO, bad idea.

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hey, if it works for her. I am sure she is not making them live in there 24/7. And not everyone has the time or skill to grab some lumber and whip something up. If she takes good care of her bird, protects them from predators, feeds and waters them....then I am sure she can figure out when they are too hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by