Cheap incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Countrypunk92, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Looking for cheap incubators, Anyone know where I can find one cheap online?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If you're willing to hand turn your eggs, you can get a 40+ egg syrofoam bator for around $50.00. If not, double that.

3. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:How much do you want to spend?

what is your budget?

we can give you better tips with t hat information

for now start on craiglist

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree, it depends on your budget and how much you want to spend. I bought an LG with a fan for my first incubator with an egg turner as I wasn't sure if I was going to incubate more than once. (I know there are a lot of LG haters on BYC) but I have had many successful hatches. The price was right since I wasn't sure what I was getting into and I was pretty sure I could sell it and recoup most of my expense. Now I use a cabinet incubator but still use the LG as a hatcher. If I have just a few egg then I use the LG to incubate in.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    It dont cost much to build one yourself.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Be careful when buying a cheap incubator, if it doesn't work properly then you will waste so much money on eggs that you might aswell have gotten an epensive one. Brinsea Eco isn't very expensive, but is a nice, small incubator.

7. ducknutt

ducknutt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    :)Ive picked up a new incubator 124. with shipping w./ forced air and egg turner..
    and a used for 35 and egg turner 25 dont think it had forced air. all on
    E bay... i need the parts to build an incubator
    out of a refrigerator i picked up for free. so while one is working now i will be building the bigger one . [​IMG]

8. Captaincasey31

Captaincasey31 New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    I made my first homemade "red neck" incubator... largest cooler I could find $40 , two light sockets $3 EACH,
    hot water themostate $3, exstention cord $4, and a small fan $9, digital themomiter/ humidity $6, spung to hold water to increase humidity, made egg trays by inch half holes in ply wood, hold 60 eggs, two shelves in cooler...made sure to drill few air holes in cooler for fresh air...I have my first flock (20 chicks,20 hens, 1 roo) becoming of age this month...looking forward to hatching another 100 chicks, next project is making a "wizbang" feather plucker.....have made three chicken coops 40x20...working on turkey coop also..thinking on getting red burboun turkeys (will breed on own) and get about 35lbs...love this site, hoping to get to know few people who know what they are doing...

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I built my own using 3/4 plywood. But, you can build one with a styrofoam cooler. I use the Incukits and they are really good. They have the thermostat, heating element and fan all in one unit and cost $49.99 plus shipping. They are super easy to install. You just attach it to the side of the cooler and your done.

I hatched 40 out 43 eggs with this homemade hatcher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by