Cheap organic food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenman4131, Mar 2, 2014.

1. chickenman4131

chickenman4131 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Is there a way to buy really cheap organic food for my chickens. I feel like there is but I just cants find one. Or is there another way to get organic eggs

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    The cheapest way would be to grow your own, but that would be a lot of work!

We pay $28 for a 40lbs bag of very high quality organic feed. The non organic feed is $20 for a 50lbs bag. DTo me, it's not a matter of, "I can't afford it" but that we can't afford the toxins prevalent in so many non organic foods. I've seen on BYC here people listing $8-$11 for a bag of non organic feed. I know that at first glance it seems ludicrous to pay so much for organic. There are some things we don't always bother buying organic, such as cabbage.s But unless you know the farmer and their farming methods (some farmers grow essentially organic but aren't certified so they can't call it that), the surest way is to buy certified organic.

If all you want is organic eggs, the best deal is to buy them from the grocery store. But they won't be as good as your organic eggs :)

If your willing to get a little creative, you can reduce your organic feed cost. We add to our feed some organic alfalfa pellets, organic grain chaff from a local farm for cheap and ferment the whole mix. The cost per pound is reduced and the chickens eat and/or waste a lot less feed. In warmer months they free range a lot and that reduces feed intake by about 30%.

3. chickenman4131

chickenman4131 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    I'm not looking to keep them I fact I'm allergic to eggs actully. I'm selling them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by