Cheap Quick Pigeon Coop

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by SAZUGT, Oct 4, 2015.

1. SAZUGT

SAZUGT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    South East, AZ
    Hey all,

There's a family that is moving and looking to get rid of pidgeons in my area for cheap. It's something I've been looking at getting into for a while. I'll save you guys some time on explaining the importance of breeder selection, etc., etc. The only reason I want these guys is to have a another backyard meat source so standard of perfection and stuff aren't a concern of mine at this point, maybe eventually.

My question is in your experience is there a cheap fast DIY coop that will house a breeding pair I hope to mate. I want them to have enough room to be pigeons and make babies but don't have a lot of time or money in the short term. I'd be looking to house them in this enclosure for about 2 months so I don't want something they can't live in that long. Following the two month holding I will build a more permanent structure. Anyhow thanks in advance for the advice! Looking forward to responses

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    A pair can live in a rabbit hutch or similarly sized cage.

3. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    I have a Capuchine pair in a 2 x 4 cage that is 3' tall- they produce squabs fine. My frillbacks and fantails are in 6x6x6 pens with 2x4 houses out of one end

4. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    40"x40"x40" wire/grated bottom/floor, is seeming perfect, to get n keep good weight on parents and two rounds before squabbing,or three pairs briefly. This space crucial I find that keeps breeders healthy for years of constant raising squabbing squeakers. 24" x24" x24" is minimum pro breeders use,but the breeders wear out soon n young mostly only fatty.. My young all thick meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by