Cheap Travel Cages?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wolfgirl9, Mar 15, 2016.

1. wolfgirl9

wolfgirl9 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    I currently live in Nevada and my family and I are planning to move up to Washington by June. It will be a long drive and I need to transport 9 chickens. I have 6 Golden Sex-Links and 3 Old English Game Bantams. Iv'e researched travel cages for chickens and found the prices were outrageous. Does anyone know of a cheap and easy way to transport chickens in the back of a truck?

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    You can probably go to your grocery store and get plastic vegetable crates and zip tie two of them together as a make shift cage. It isn't pretty but it is cheep and effective. Depending on the size of your birds and the size of the crate your store carries will determine how many you need. My store sold mine to me for $1 each and I use them for nesting boxes.

3. wolfgirl9

wolfgirl9 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Okay, I'll try that. Thank you! [​IMG]

4. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]
    This pic kind of shows the crates I am talking about. They come in different sizes and colors depending on your grocery store. Good luck with the move.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd use cardboard boxes. Holes for ventilation, fruit for them to peck at and stay hydrated between stops to feed and water. The darker small space would keep them calmer also. However you need to secure or wedge them in the bed of the truck with whatever else you're transporting.

6. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by