Cheapest easiest treatment for mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mama Bay, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Mama Bay

Mama Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    Milmay New Jersey
    While observing my broody in the coop, I found myself covered in tiny mites! This is a first for us. This is our 4th year and the chickens free range and usually dust bathe regularly but we've had a ton of rain for the last couple of months... I have read some of the threads and a bunch of conflicting recommendations. I need the cheapest easiest treatment that does not require hand washing each chicken. Also something I can use that does not require me to throw away eggs... I have a tractor supply not too far but could order from Amazon if necessary. Thanks in advance!

2. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    I would buy some DE (diotematious earth) and sprinkle it directly on each bird, lifting the neck feathers up as you sprinkle. Use liberally. Sprinkle all over the nesting boxes, roosting bars, and even a bit in their feed (for internal parasites). A 50# bag is something like $20, not free but pretty cheap, and that 50# could last you several treatments. Repeat the process every few days, or more if the rain is washing the DE away (it doesn't have the same effect when wet). After a few treatments, take a look again, if they're not going away you may need to try something more. I hope this helps!

bowlinggreen and Mama Bay like this.
  3. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop
    X3 DE

4. Mama Bay

Aug 3, 2014
    Milmay New Jersey
    Thanks! Is this safe for chicks too?

5. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    Yes, DE is safe for chicks. It's a microscopic-grained powder made from ground seashells, dinosaur bones and cavemen paintings. Maybe not, but still old. The grains are tiny little shards, like broken glass, that scratch at the exoskeletons of mites, ticks, ants, etc. (anything with a waxy exo). The wax gets scratches, makes the bugs susceptible to the elements, and they die from dehydration after a few days. It does the same thing when they eat it, if they have worms or internal digestive parasites the DE will take care of them. It's safe for you, kids, food, animals, plants, etc. Just not bugs. Use it on ant piles too. I also sprinkle on my poop-catching tarp, keeps the flies from laying their eggs in it.

DE is a wonderful tool around the homestead.

Mama Bay likes this.
  6. Mama Bay

Aug 3, 2014
    Milmay New Jersey
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by