Cheapest Flat Panel Heaters

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Little Ameraucana Mom, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
  2. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    I use a large dog bed heater - looks like the little black one on you first link. Cost $60. They like it and I think it's safe. Don't remember where I got it...one of the cheap horse supply places that sends out catalogs like Valley Vet. They are also sold (for around 20% more) at Pet Smart.
    Cheers,
    N. VA

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I dont know if it is the same thing but the one from Amazon may be used for indoor dogs only or indoor only unless it can be used outside where the chickens can use the heat inside the coop. Some heaters need to be out of the elements or inside of house where there is no chance for moisture or high humidity to get into it. Unless your coop is well made for human occupacity LOL!

However that piglet sow heater would be even better.

4. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been looking at them too and found the same places you did,. do you have one now? Have you used them before? I was wondering how well they worked before putting that kind of $ into one,..

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Quote:No I've never used one. I just though they might be safer then heat lamps, When I was a kid we had a farrowing house burn down from a heat lamp, so they scare me, but that is what I used last winter.

6. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I don't know the exact model of ours; but, our panel heating a awesome! In fact; I too, was considering its use in future brooding [​IMG]

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You can build the same thing by wiring a row of Christmas lights threw a hot water thermostat an stuffing the lights an thermostat in to a piece of pipe. I have one in my brooder.
    http://cmfarm.us/cam_1.html

I have the pipe set to stay at 100 so the chicks can roost on it. Brooder gets cold at night but the chicks dont.

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Please be careful with heat lamps everyone.
    Several years ago Maybury Park's barn (in Northville, MI) burned because of a heat lamp incident.
    Sadly, almost every animal died in the burning barn.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:flat panel heaters are for chicken coops and such, they are very safe. its the heat lamps that are the problem, NEVER NEVER use one as a winter heater in your coop, I know of a teen who used one in her coop. That coop, a different coop burned down, all birds lost, plus if a passing police officer hadn't been passing by the house would have gone too, as it was the deck was a total loss that how close it was.

10. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by