Cheapest place for hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zengrrl, Apr 24, 2011.

1. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Our outdoor run is going to be big due to the fact its an old dog kennel being converted. Dh swears chicken wire is fine but I know better. The price of hardware cloth is outrageous though. I'm thinking maybe I can get away with chicke wire along the top half of the side and hardware cloth along the bottom? Where have you found the best price for the hc?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I ordered mine from CNS stores. Seriously, it is definitely cheap there, and I believe it is galvanized AFTER it is welded, which is important for longevity!

http://www.csnstores.com/Mat-308B-BFJ1001.html?cv=

I got two 48", 50ft rolls from them. Can't find that at any tractor supply for that price, free shipping too.

3. rgrever2

rgrever2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Livermore, CA
    darn...that is a good price! Got mine from a local feed store and paid $120 for 36" X 100ft

4. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Wow - that is an awesome price truly! Thanks for the tip!

5. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Glad I could share it! I remember stumbling upon it while I was looking for a solar light for my coop on that site and was like O_O JACKPOT!

6. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:What we have now (not opened yet) is 50'x36" and is 20 guage. The guage on this products is 19, how easy would it be to break/bend for say a racoon or other animal??

7. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    The smaller the gauge, the stronger the cloth because the thicker the wire. So 19 gauge is stronger than say, 23 gauge.

[​IMG]

Found a smaller example picture

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    To answer your question, yes...put the hardware cloth up as a wrap around the bottom....will keep anything from reaching in. You will have to make the apron also and bury it. Then chicken wire the rest of the way up (although I did not do it the rest of the way up because anything that tall can just open the gate, walk in, make a selection and leave). Then you need to cover the top.

I have a friend that bought used chain link from a fella pretty cheap.....if I had overs, and could make DH go away till I got it up, that is what I would use for the top!! Talk about Ft. Knox!!

Hardware cloth for windows and vents also.

Off now to check out that price on HC!!

9. MeowCluckBark

MeowCluckBark Chicken Lickin' Good

Mar 28, 2011
    Boise, ID
    I was able to get it from a local feed and supply store here for a decent price. I think it was about $45 for a 50' roll of 36" tall. I hate that stupid stuff. It's so pokey.

10. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the heads up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by