Cheapest place for hardware cloth?

zengrrl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Oakland County, MI
Our outdoor run is going to be big due to the fact its an old dog kennel being converted. Dh swears chicken wire is fine but I know better. The price of hardware cloth is outrageous though. I'm thinking maybe I can get away with chicke wire along the top half of the side and hardware cloth along the bottom? Where have you found the best price for the hc?

The smaller the gauge, the stronger the cloth because the thicker the wire. So 19 gauge is stronger than say, 23 gauge.

gauge_wire_chart.jpg

Found a smaller example picture

Last edited:
To answer your question, yes...put the hardware cloth up as a wrap around the bottom....will keep anything from reaching in. You will have to make the apron also and bury it. Then chicken wire the rest of the way up (although I did not do it the rest of the way up because anything that tall can just open the gate, walk in, make a selection and leave). Then you need to cover the top.

I have a friend that bought used chain link from a fella pretty cheap.....if I had overs, and could make DH go away till I got it up, that is what I would use for the top!! Talk about Ft. Knox!!

Hardware cloth for windows and vents also.

Off now to check out that price on HC!!

I was able to get it from a local feed and supply store here for a decent price. I think it was about $45 for a 50' roll of 36" tall. I hate that stupid stuff. It's so pokey.

Back
Top Bottom