Cheapest Predator-Safe Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RocketChick, May 10, 2009.

1. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I don't have much money(I'm a teenager fully responsible for my five birds)

So I'm trying to figure out a way to make a cheap coop that can happily fit five birds. (They'll go free range during the day, but locked up at night, so that means less room is necessary, right?

Well, I had an idea! But I have NO building experience and have no idea how to do it. In my backyard is a playset....one my parents got for me and my siblings many years ago...but now it's sort of abandoned. Is there any possible way I can convert it to a coop? A cheap safe way? I was thinking the "sandbox" area could be the main house area. There are two poles that go through the sand box that would make a great roost, and I can fit nest boxes in there. I just need a way to cover it and make a small door that can be closed and locked? I dont care if it'll be hard to clean...just looking for a nice way to build a coop and might as well take advantage of this idea...possible?

It looks like this, sort of?
    http://backyardplayground.net/images/uploads/gallery_images/Hayes_Split_Level_with_Porch.jpg

The area under the "house" of the playground is the sandbox, except mine has more wooden boards over all of the sides, more like a "box"

Any idea?? Thanks so much! I'm desperate!

What would I need to buy? Would it be cheap? I have $70, looking to save as much as possible. Dx

2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I'm not good at building Dh did my coops- but if you could buy hardware wire and put it around the top to keep anything out - and get some kind of post to make the run I don't know how much it will cost but try craigslist or sites like it to locate cheap stuff
    Have fun building and keeping chickens

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    You know, I really think you could work with this. If you spend your money frugally, you could pull off some chicken wire and other supplies. Look on your local craigslist under the freebies. Place a wanted for things you might need. Maybe even use the fact that you're a teenager wanting to start a coop of your own chickens. The old timers love to see a new generation of chicken lovers coming up and some of them might be willing to help you along getting the things you need. If that doesn't pan out, go to your local lumber yard or store and ask them about culled lumber and discount items.

As for exactly how, someone will come along here to give you better ideas than I ever could. That's what my hubby is good at and he'll be building mine.

Good luck! I'll be excited to come back and see what you've done!

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    Are you old enough and responsible/SAFE enough to run a saw? Does the swing come out like they do in the picture?

5. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    No, not old enough, but my dad will help me if necessary! And yes, the swings do come out but I would rather them not? (I still play with those, guilty, ha) If it must be, I'll take them out heh.

Anybody know how I can do this? I know I CAN. Just not sure HOW, heh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by