Cheapest tractor - ever!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UGAchick, Jun 20, 2010.

1. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    It cost me $4. True story.

Here are the materials:

A pallet that I broke apart (so that I could use the individual boards) for the bottom frame - free from freecycle
    A recycled billboard (whole thing is 48'x14') to cover the roost area - free from a local billboard company. The guy even delivered it to me because he thought it would be too heavy for me to lift. Incredible!
    Plastic chicken wire to cover the run- left over from my chicken coop, originally purchased new
    Metal tent poles to support the billboard and plastic wire - free from our gazebo that collapsed under the snow last year
    Piece of square PVC pipe for the roost and a small round PVC pipe for an upright- left over from the coop but originally purchased from Habitat ReStore
    A gazillion zip ties - $4 for a pack of 100

Total = $4!!!

Side View
    [​IMG]

Roost-end view
    [​IMG]

View into the roost area from the run end
    [​IMG]

There are some obvious characteristics of this tractor that would not work for everyone. First, it is not predator-proof. It is housed in my backyard which is fenced and protected by a dog. The tractor is enough to deter hawks and a curious dog, but would not hold up against a raccoon or fox.

Also, there are no nest boxes. I built the tractor for my 4-5 week old chicks. I needed to get them out of the house but didn't want to put them in with the big girls.

Finally, it is only meant for warm weather. Obviously. Look at all that wire!

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

awesome!

3. kungfukitty

kungfukitty Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Eureka, CA
    Very clever;)

4. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Way To GOOOO Friend !!!!!!

I Like It !! good ingenuity !!

5. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    very cool! Do you go to uga?

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Best 4$ tractor ive ever seen not that i ever saw one lol.

7. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Sweet! Im all about cheap/free/recycling stuff.

Ive been scavenging for wood at a house by my MIL's that they bulldozed yesterday. Got a nice stack going so far!! And I too take pallets apart to use te wood.
    Great job!

8. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I added the wire to the bottom in an effort to make it more secure (although I don't know from what), and I wanted to contain the chicks while I move it around. Since there is no way to keep them in the roost area during moving. Do you guys think that I should remove it?

My full-sized coop is also completely recycled, including shingles and windows, but I haven't had a chance to paint it yet so I don't want to show pictures!! I really like the idea of using materials that would otherwise go to the dump.

Americancowboy - I do go to UGA. Finishing up my PhD and hoping to stay in the Athens area. I love it here!! Originally I am from PA, so GA is a very welcome change.

Clothdiaperingmom - You will love this - I put a request on our freecycle for use materials and scraps. Today I am going to pick up a pile of metal roofing and cinder blocks. Can't wait to see what I can make with that!! It is funny considering that I had never used a power tool before building my first coop. The husband is not interested in my chicken hobby. But who needs his help?

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    $4.00 for 100 zip ties? You paid too much! [​IMG]

LOL, just ribbing you. That's a great tractor!

BTW, if there's a Harbor Freight near you, they have big canisters of mixed sizes of zips for pretty decent prices.

10. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    if you leave the wire on the bottom - you need to be very careful when moving as they can get their toes caught(cut off) if you are sliding the pen . If you take the wire off the bottom you can slide it but need to watch where they are at as you slide it , they will actually move with it if it bumps them as you go along slowly . Most of the time mine stay out in the middle as i move it .
    The chickens can benefit greatly from having the wire off the bottom - as they can scratch and dust - just do what chickens love to do . You can put hay , grass clippings , oat straw and they will love working in it .

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by