1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cheapest way to cull a laying flock for dog food

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NTBugtraq, Oct 31, 2015.

1. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

I am attempting to breed my own birds, and now that I have a fairly decent sized flock of layers of my 1st generation, I want to cull the original layers. They are 3 year olds, as well as 1.25 year olds (23 altogether).

My poultry processor will pluck and quarter them for me for C$4.70 each, which isn't cheap. Plus they are quite a distance away, so added cost in gas and time.

I spoke to someone who has hunting dogs who fed them on chicken, and he suggested I just knock the bird out and put it in the freezer (whole), then cut it up as necessary when I take it out of the freezer. So his way costs nothing.

What do you do to prepare a chicken for a dog's raw diet?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Storing 23 whole birds is going to take a lot of freezer space is my first thought. Not sure how you're set on that.

I don't know if they need to be bled out, etc for the dogs to eat. When we butcher for us, we give the dogs the heads and feet, and liver/heart if we're not going to eat them. We've never given them the intestines, not sure if you'd feed those or not?

I'm just thinking to save on freezer space to cut them into pieces before freezing. If you don't want to pluck, you can always skin the birds. It's fairly quick and easy.

3. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    You need to get a killing cone available at many poultry supply companies. We purchased ours from Randall Burkey. The killing cone is the major cost. Which is less than $50.00, and a one time purchase.

Mount the cone to a wooden pole, or tree. Butcher in the morning before daylight, before the birds have awaken to start their day. Take each one separately off the roost and carry to the cone. Place upside down in cone, with a very sharp knife slit the jugular vein, or to be sure just cut the head off.

That is the best way to kill.

Then how you process for dog meat is up to you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  4. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    A modified highway cone works as well. Except I have no idea where you'd find one.[​IMG]

5. NTBugtraq

@JanetMarie , why are you killing them and bleeding them out? What does that achieve that's needed?

6. NTBugtraq

Lolz, on a highway, of course...and I live on one...;-]

7. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I've got your answer.

[​IMG]

8. NTBugtraq

Lolz, got one of those, but I can't figure out how to clean it after I'm done.

9. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Just run a few big branches through.

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Wasn't that on an episode of Bones? They ran a frozen pig through one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by