Cheapist coop that will keep chickens warm?

poultrycrazy

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
:)
Alright, so I need to know how to make the cheapest coop that can fit at the top 4-5 birds in and be able to keep them warm in michigan winters. They will most likely be bantams such as silkies, cochins, polish, maybe some OEGB's. The reason i need them cheap is because i may need to build a couple all of a sudden and might not have alot of money at the time or just need some extra room for access roos. Thanks for the help.

Matt

i'm in wisconsin so i know bad weather. for my coop, i did not do anything special for my coop. all it is is a frame with plywood for the walls. but i also have my coop attached to the outside wall of our garage, which is NOT heated. the only thing i did was make sure the chickens i bought could handle our cold winters. and sure enough, after a VERY cold winter night, i checked them in the morning. i grabbed a few of my chickens and petted them under their feathers, touching their skin, and i was very surprised, they were toasty warm.

recycle as much raw materials as possible, keep an eye out for rabbit hutches, dog kennels, sheds or play houses on preloved or craiglist going cheap or free, but build one twice as big as you think you will need now, chicken math is a weird and wonderfull thing the more you know the more you want. best of luck and
welcome-byc.gif

I have the chickens already and they are all in 2 coops but i will eventually need to seperate them for breeding. Sooo i will just need some cheap coop that will keep predators out and keep them warm in the winter.

From my experience in breeding is to separate the different breeds in the spring through the fall. In the winter I put together my "General Flock" I have 1 Large 20x35 ft coop for all breeds except my Leghorns. I'm in the progress of dividing my coop I'm to 3 sections for my RIR's, EE's, and Buff Orphingtons
. I have 8x12 A-Frame Coop for my Egg Layers. I do not Breed these I sell there Huge Eggs!

-Nate

Back
Top Bottom