1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Cheating on Her Mate!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NeoRoey, Aug 30, 2010.

1. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chirping

Aug 27, 2010
    To make this quick, I have 3 button quails. I'm about to separate one of them, Tic. 1 button quail, Chickapee, is female, and Tic and Tac are male. Recently, I've seen Tac mate with Chickapee. Then, I saw Tic mating with Chickapee! WHAT IS HAPPENING!?! Tac was just, like, sitting there.

2. neb

neb In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Hi NeoRoey

This is my explanation. [​IMG]
    Coturnix are kept in groups, whereas Button Quail should be kept in pairs (monogamous) . If you keep the Buttons in groups, they will all inter-mate, just like with Coturnix. You can't expect one of the males to sit back and not do anything [​IMG], it is their natural instinct to mate [​IMG]. I am sure they will be fine as long as they don't fight over the female. [​IMG]

Hope this helps [​IMG]

Neb

3. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chirping

Aug 27, 2010
    Good. They're not fighting. They just, like, take turns "mating" with Chickapee. I feel bad for her.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can give the other boy a female and separate the pairs...fighting will happen

5. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chirping

Aug 27, 2010
    Quote:Quote:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    There is one girl and two boys. Both boys want some loving and are going to the one girl. It seems like the original pair was Tac and Chickapee so separate the other one and see what happens.

7. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chirping

Aug 27, 2010
    Ok. I really don't see a problem. They're not pecking or fighting or anything.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I would pair them up. One mail with 1 or more females is ok. One female with more than one male is just asking for your female to get hurt from overmating.

9. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chirping

Aug 27, 2010
    So I'll separate them. How do I provide lighting? Should I put the button quails outside in the light?

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are you planning on breeding them, if so you can leave lights on during day and turn off at night..You can have the lights off but have a desk lamp shining on the cage, if you don't want to leave lights on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by