Check bottoms for crusts/sealed shut

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I have raised many babies, and know the sound a chick makes when they have a crusty- or sealed shut butt. They make kind of a we-he-he-he sound almost like laughing. If that is the case def check the bottom even if nothing is clinging to the butt. I had one doing that during the night, and was too tired to do a good check, then this morning I looked and their was no poo stuck to the butt or hanging off, but it was sealed shut. I washed his behind and freed it. poor baby...This chick is soo tiny it was hard to tell it was sealed, plus he has the dark skin of a silky, so nothing pink to wink at me... chick's name is Fee.
fee.PNG

Thanks for the advice! We had a crusty-butt chick called Blue (who also had multiple leg problems, caused by being too weak to even hatch alone). We cleaned his/her butt everyday in warm water with some cotton, after a few days it sorted itself out!

I have raised many babies, and know the sound a chick makes when they have a crusty- or sealed shut butt. They make kind of a we-he-he-he sound almost like laughing. If that is the case def check the bottom even if nothing is clinging to the butt. I had one doing that during the night, and was too tired to do a good check, then this morning I looked and their was no poo stuck to the butt or hanging off, but it was sealed shut. I washed his behind and freed it. poor baby...This chick is soo tiny it was hard to tell it was sealed, plus he has the dark skin of a silky, so nothing pink to wink at me... chick's name is Fee.View attachment 2596446
So cute! Reminds me of Blue.. They would make great friends!!!
IMG-20210322-WA0015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom