check my bator - first eggs coming today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Nov 7, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Please tell me if this all looks OK. Eggs are coming today or tomorrow and I'm freeeee-kiiiiiiing (in a good way).

I've been running it for a couple days working on getting everything just right.

Thermometer w/ probe on top.

[​IMG]

Interior. There is a big pan of aquarium rocks in a plastic bag for heat storage and stabilization... Hopefully if the power goes out at night, the eggs will stay warm for a while. And I couldn't find a water wiggler so I used those water crystals for the garden in a baggie, with the thermometer probe folded inside. Walmart's sponges were the ones that said "NOT SAFE FOR AQUARIUM USE" so I used a folded microfiber cloth instead. Hope that's OK?

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure... Do I leave the airholes covered for the first 18 days?

Anything need adjusted, other than my head? [​IMG]

2. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wish I knew what to tell you! Unfortunately, I don't. I am just feeling sorry for you with no one responding! I hope you find someone who knows the answers to your questions.

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I am building my first bator now. And I think the air holes are to regulate your humidity.

So if your humidity is too high, then open the air holes. If the humidity is too low, then close your air holes and if still too low, add more water surface to create more humidity.

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I would make sure that some air holes in the bottom and top are open the whole time, they need fresh air flow. I keep 8 open holes 4 on front 4 on back top and bottom open on mine. thats a total of 16 holes.

edited cause that didn't sound right. I have holes 2 inches from bottom of cooler equally spaced 4 inches aprt on front and back of cooler. another row of holes right below lid again equally spaced and 4 inches apart. I keep at least 8 holes open on bottom and 8 on top at all times. This is what lets air into incubator so growing chicks have air. If they don't have air I think they will sufficate. I then open more if temps start going to high.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:How big are the holes you leave open all the time?

6. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    they are about the size around of a pencil. not sure what drill bit I used.

7. BeardedChick

Thanks everyone and

[​IMG] Chickorama [​IMG]

It's interesting - the temperature the probe reads has not gone over 98 degrees. I wonder if temps need to be turned up a little bit?

8. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I think for the probe 98 is about right.

9. BeardedChick

Oh good, WillowCol! :) Glad you posted before I messed with the themostat.

10. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Well it could be higher, like 99.5 I think you are safe as long as it doesn't go below 97. I think I would leave it and see if it stays at a steady rate around 98 then to mess with it and have a temp. spike that would be alot worse. My cooler temp. stays aroun 100/101, and my wiggler temp stays aroun 98.5 and my eggs are growing great. I had a 9 out of 10 hatch last time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by