1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Check out Craigslist ad, Elk for sale

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by emvickrey, Sep 22, 2010.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
  3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I think we have deer enough without elk...But wow this is suprising! Almost worth a trip just to see....Never eaten elk, but love deer meat, probably because they eat up our winter crops on a regular basis so theya re well fed! [​IMG]

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:I hear elk meat is better than deer. Never had any myself so I can't really say.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:I hear elk meat is better than deer. Never had any myself so I can't really say.

It's slightly sweeter than beef. A number of stores around here sell it either as jerky, ground and frozen or as sausage mixed with pork. It's fairly expensive so we don't eat it very often.

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Wild elk is not as gamy as venison or even moose and is very lean. I assume farmed elk hasn't got much of a wild flavor at all but I've never had it.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love the flavor of wild elk and I'll bet that farmed elk is much better than beef!

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We love elk - domestic anyway, I've never eaten wild elk. My stepdad & Mom raise elk. They have pasture fences 12 ft high! It's really cool to visit them in Fall when the elk are bugling for mating season.

The flavor of domestic elk reminds me more of beef than deer. If you didn't know it was elk, you would probably think it was beef but wonder how it was seasoned. Like deer, it's very lean.

We also make our own sausage using elk and our own pastured pork. It's to die for. [​IMG]

9. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

I breed RED deer. It kind of like an ELK, just a smaller Version. They are beautiful. Ive got 2 baby REDs right now... There really cute. THey love running in the yard and jumping.

10. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I can't imagine how hard it is to keep Elk in! I wonder what the legality is of keeping Elk captured from the wild? I'm sure probably illegal without all sorts of hard to obtain permits. We are completely overrun with them though, on basically all areas of our property. We regularly have them in the front yard, patio, and in our corrals. We have even had them come into the garage. We pretty regularly will have groups of 20+ out in the yard. Believe me, it has made me wonder on more than one occasion if we would be allowed to catch some and sell them, LOL.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by