Check out my BA's soft shelled egg! *PIC*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robin'sBrood, May 15, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I picked this egg up yesterday not long after she laid it and it didn't feel different than her other eggs, just had the weird coloring. Later that evening when I picked it up again, to put it in the frig, the shell started denting due to the softness of it. [​IMG] I cracked it this morning and the insides were completely normal. It was a cool looking egg but Betty is getting some extra calcium in the form of crushed egg shells from now on. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is she a new layer? Mine are always like that when they first start laying.....

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    No, she isn't a new layer, she's 13 months old. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Robin'sBrood :

No, she isn't a new layer, she's 13 months old. [​IMG]

Do they have oyster shell? If it is a one time thing I wouldn't worry. Sometimes their "works" go all caddywampus!​

5. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Sometimes a system misfires. I've heard of eggs getting "thrown" back up inside the get a second set of whites and another shell. I'd up the calcium available but she may just be due for a good molting to refresh her system.

6. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Update... well, Betty didn't lay an egg yesterday but she laid a big, pretty, normal shelled one today. [​IMG]

7. hungryhensfarm

hungryhensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Maybe that was just a freak thing laying the soft shelled egg. Never heard of a hen laying one like that before. Very interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by