Check out my "bird dog" pictures

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Larkin, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Here's a picture of Daisy, she is enjoying left over Easter oatmeal with some of the chickens. (she does get a little grumpy/growley with them over bones). You would never imagine that she is a fierce retriever when we go bird hunting. She's also been known to raid wild turkey nests, kill newborn fawns, and decrease the rabbit population and field mice too. She's a true outdoor girl. I guess it's pleasing to see how well she gets along with the chickens and chicks considering she's a natural borne killer.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I think the hens are plotting to take over control of the dog. They'll show the retriever how to retrieve food for them!

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

ROFL that's funny!

She obviously knows that these chickens are already yours, and don't have to be brought to you!

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Hey I have one of those "bird dogs" also [​IMG]
    Here they are sunning themselves together

[​IMG]

5. barnyardkid928

barnyardkid928 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Southwick
    OMG!!! Hilarious!!

6. barnyardkid928

barnyardkid928 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Southwick
    Quote:What kind of dog is that?

7. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Hysterical! I don't think I have the same luck with my dogs but love the pics!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:What a gorgeous Weimeraner! And a lovely, trusting chicken buddy, too. [​IMG]

9. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    luv chicks-
    My SIL and BIL have a Weimer too and it's the same way. Loves the chickens, kills everything else that pops it's head in the yard. It's nice to see instinct doesn't have to over rule them right!

Whenever I open the coop to check for eggs, Daisy goes in and cleans up any chicken food that's been spilled on the floor. Everyone ignores her and carries on with their regularly scheduled chicken business. It's kinda fun to watch. The mean ol' rooster doesn't even challenge her! Love that dog!

10. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks he would not think of chasing a squirel in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by