Check out my BROODER!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrackenFarms, Mar 4, 2009.

1. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    [​IMG]
    i built it with two lids with a removable divider. i wire it with a light receptacle on each side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    being that it is outside i lined the interior with silver reflective foamboard.
    [​IMG]
    i built it to be used season after season and i intend to stain it after this season the chick dig it and I hope you do too!

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Very nice large brooder, what litter are you using?

3. BrackenFarms

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    well for the first 3 days i used the normal "newspaper" but a local breeder/ friend of mine sorta laughed when i told him i was going to use pine shavings.... soooo he told me that the best thing to use is river sand and that he wouldn't dare put pine shavings in his brooders. so considering he is in his 60's and has bred chickens for about that long. i took his advice and used river sand.

4. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Your brooder looks great! I hadn't thought about putting sand in there - i bet that would be easy to clean...like a cat box! Looks great, babies are cute!

5. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    very nice brooder.

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Love your brooder.....couldn't see if it had ventilation. I like the sand idea......would kitty litter work?

7. BrackenFarms

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    kitty litter might work but probably more expensive and you wouldnt get the same clumping action with (chicken poop and cat litter) as you do with (cat pee and cat litter)
    what i did and you may want to try is go to your local mulch yard and ask for some river sand and when they say how much say oh just a wheelbarrow full and that you dont mind loading it by hand ( for this you may want to take a shovel and a pucket or two or something to put sand in) and since the mulch yard chargees for larger quantities they will probably say you can have it for free if you load it yourself [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    It's a very animal!! LOOKS GREAT!!

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I never thought of sand as litter for the brooder makes a lot of sense. What was the breeders issue with Pine I am just curious. I have used it for a long time and not had issues.. I know chicks can injest it. Is there another reason?

Thanks

10. BrackenFarms

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    not really sure he never said. ingestion is the only thing i could think of [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by