Check out my chicks..

eman

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Burton, Ohio
I have 3 Buff orpington's 6 weeks old and 8 Barred Rock chicks that are 3 weeks.

Can anyone tell which are hens and roos? They all look the same to me.

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

Last edited:
I think your Buff Orp in the middle top of the first pic is a cockerel. The Barred Rock cockerels will have a lighter overall color, generally, with wider white bars, and would have hatched with a larger splotchier headspot. I think I see a few boys in there.

Ok my guess on the barred rocks.
From far left, clockwise..
Roo, unknown, hen hen hen hen etc...
Just a guess

Oops, missed the one in the corner, Unknown
big_smile.png

(I originally said counter clockwise but meant clockwise, also I looked again and cant tell whos legs im seeing in the corner so, one of them looks like a hen, but not sure which.)

Last edited:
great looking chicks!
Can't help you decide about the Buffies, but the barred rocks maybe.
My pullet barred rocks are darker with the yellow legs and shadowing on the front. I have one lighter with no shadowing. Folks here voted him a roo. And I did hear a crow attempt a couple of weeks ago. Mine are 13 weeks old.

I converted an old shed into a coop until I get enough money to finish a permanent coop for them. I had 15 barred rock chicks but coons got into the coop and took 7 of them. Since then we have fixed the holes in the coop and moved the chicks in with the older ones behind fencing.

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

Last edited:
I think I have two BO roos and one BO pullet. The two seem to be more agressive and the other is more passive.

I really hope I don't have too many roos. The coons really put a dent into my flock.

Back
Top Bottom