Check out my chicks..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eman, Jul 23, 2007.

1. eman

eman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Burton, Ohio
    I have 3 Buff orpington's 6 weeks old and 8 Barred Rock chicks that are 3 weeks.

Can anyone tell which are hens and roos? They all look the same to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think your Buff Orp in the middle top of the first pic is a cockerel. The Barred Rock cockerels will have a lighter overall color, generally, with wider white bars, and would have hatched with a larger splotchier headspot. I think I see a few boys in there.

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Ok my guess on the barred rocks.
    From far left, clockwise..
    Roo, unknown, hen hen hen hen etc...
    Just a guess

Oops, missed the one in the corner, Unknown [​IMG]

(I originally said counter clockwise but meant clockwise, also I looked again and cant tell whos legs im seeing in the corner so, one of them looks like a hen, but not sure which.)

4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    great looking chicks!
    Can't help you decide about the Buffies, but the barred rocks maybe.
    My pullet barred rocks are darker with the yellow legs and shadowing on the front. I have one lighter with no shadowing. Folks here voted him a roo. And I did hear a crow attempt a couple of weeks ago. Mine are 13 weeks old.

5. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Dont know myself.I have 6 brocks that are the same age as your.One thing I do know is that they are HOT BABYS!

6. eman

eman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Burton, Ohio
    I converted an old shed into a coop until I get enough money to finish a permanent coop for them. I had 15 barred rock chicks but coons got into the coop and took 7 of them. Since then we have fixed the holes in the coop and moved the chicks in with the older ones behind fencing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Arrrrrrrrrr!Nothing worse than loosing babys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i am mad!:mad:

8. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

re BO the top chick is a roo. The others I can't see properly. If they look like him they are roos also.....if not they are pullets! [​IMG]

9. eman

eman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Burton, Ohio
    I think I have two BO roos and one BO pullet. The two seem to be more agressive and the other is more passive.

I really hope I don't have too many roos. The coons really put a dent into my flock.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm fairly sure three of your BRs are cockerels. Hard to tell on a couple, but if you hatched them, you can bet about half or more are roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by