Check out my hatch from Western Chick :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    So far so good...BUT I see a little red bump on his hind end...you can kind of see it in this picture...does anyone know what this could be. It seems fine...flopping around like all my other newly hatched ones did before. Should I wait and see what happens? Otherwise all else is perfect on this splash baby orp!!! I HOPE it's a girl and I hope it's ok! Can you see it ok? Or I could put a link to a bigger pic to see it better.

[​IMG]

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hmmm....that's interesting. Don't know what it could be....hopefully a senior hatcher will show up and help....congrats on the hatch, and good luck!!!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Looks like a rough navel to me. Usually they dry up and they're ok.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH good! Thanks...it's the splash I wanted so I was hoping she/he would be ok! It sure is active tho and making his self heard too! I think it's talking the others right out of their shell! I have three more pips and two left to pip! [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, I had a couple EXTREMELY rough navels this hatch... all are doing fine so far [​IMG]

Congrats on your new baby! Can't wait to see pics of it all fluffed out [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One thing I might add is watch so the others don't start pecking on it there.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    So far five pips out of six eggs! I know they were all alive two days ago so I'm hoping I get a sixth pip very soon. They are all right on time! The first one pipped sometime after midnight and was born at about 3:30 this afternoon. It seems to really be getting around well. I will take another picture in a few hours. And I will watch the others to make sure they don't pick at it. If they do should I remove him and put him under a heat lamp in the brooder? Will it hurt it to come out a little early? So far no more zips so I'm thinking it may be a while before the others make an appearance anyhow...then it's always a few hours after that before they find their feet so I may have a 1/2 day or so....if I take him out tonight before bed would that harm him? Do they need higher humidity after they hatch too?

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I agree with Katy~ probably a rough navel..

I don't think you have a splash there, it looks dark. A splash is very light.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I don't think you have a splash there, it looks dark. A splash is very light.

AWW really? What do you think it would be? All I was suppose to have were Blue/ Black/ or splash orps. could it be a blue? Or are blues usually darker? I wonder what I have?? I was sure it was a splash [​IMG]

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by