1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Check out my Silkie Coop "Phoebe's Pad"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sam The Yam, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Phoebe is a spoiled rotten little golden silkie. She is the proud owner of a new coop in the works and I hope to add another silkie to her pad soon. It is still in the works, I have some fine tuning to do, but as you can see she looks perfectly content. I built the fence around a small garden spot, then used an existing hutch and converted into what you see here with an enclosed bottom and nest box that is accessible from the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    nice i wish i had a extra coop like that

3. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Thanks, I guess it's my good excuse to keep me busy building something! I figure also that when the garden spot is not producing any vegetables it can be used for the chickens to run in and help me fertilize the soil. Gotta keep the chickens earning their feed!

4. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    you could also get a moveing coop and that way they can really fertalize the garden

5. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    give her a friend before she goes insane! [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ahhh....Phoebe is so cute, and her "pad" looks cozy [​IMG]

7. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:The garden spot is actually so small that the run takes up half the garden. Unfortunately I do not have a large yard with alot of garden space so I am fairly limited as to what I can do. The hutch is actually movable if need be, I would just need to attach some wheels to it. But for now it works. Thanks for the comments.

8. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Thanks! she does look cozy doesn't she?! I am going to get another silkie soon so I will have two cozy silkies!

9. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:I agree! I have been wanting to get a white one but can't seem to find one. A local feed store has some but I am patiently waiting to see if they are hens or roosters. Unfortunately I can't have a rooster due to the close proximity of neighbors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by