check out my soft shelled egg :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wnthunting, Aug 21, 2011.

1. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    One of our girls layed her first egg today ... no shell on it yet ....kinda neat lookin [​IMG][​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cool!
    Did you know if you take a regular shelled egg and place it in a glass of vinegar for a day or two it will turn into a shell-less egg? Supposedly if you then put it in a glass of water for a few days it will get a hard shell again, but I've never done the second part.

3. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    The vinegar part is accurate, but if you then put it into water it will get HUGE. DS13 did just this experiment in his science course about a month ago. (Karo syrup makes them shrink, btw).

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    cool gonna have Colt do this.. his main science this year is going to be chicken based,, from evolution to hatching show quality birds , genetic etc there is so much I can incorporate into his science using one main focus thus being chickens..

thanks for the project idea
    Pink

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:did you put it in the karo after the vinegar or just shell and all reg size?

6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks for sharing!! I think it is really cool looking as well!! People talk about them, but rarely ever post pics of them! I've never seen one before- that's a really good picture of it, too.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very cool. I've gotten a few like that!

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Neat! The soft shelled eggs that are laid here don't last long enough to get a pic, they eat them immediately.

9. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Thats pretty cool. I was expecting my first ones to be soft, but they were just perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by