Check out our finished coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by imamtgrandma2, Sep 17, 2011.

1. imamtgrandma2

imamtgrandma2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    We just finished our new coop. My wonderful neighbor built it for us.
    It started with a floor which is 21" off the ground so the snow build up will not effect the Girls.
    [​IMG]

Then the building began. It is 6' X 8' with a security screen door and solid door so in the hot weather I can have total air circulation.
    [​IMG]

Here's the finished coop with the guys who tried to make my vision come true. They did a great job!!
    [​IMG]

Here's the weather vane we have on top. A hen with three chicks.
    [​IMG]

The inside has roosts on both sides and 2 boot trays under each roost. The inside is lighted with a rope light to increase the daylight hours. In the Winter, we will put the water inside on a heater.
    [​IMG]

The Girls spent their first night just fine. Three of the four Girls found the roosts right away and the 4th slept in one of the 6 nest boxes.
    We had a HUGE rain/hail/thunder storm a few nights ago and the coop was water tight!! Yahoo!!
    The 21" bottom is enclosed with 1/4" welded wire with a 12" apron so the Girls can't get out and no one can get in. Next Summer, we might allow the Girls to have access under the coop to keep cool but we're still thinking about that. They have an enclosed 8'X8' attached welded wire dog kennel/run lined with 1/4" welded wire so we don't have to worry about coyotes, raccoons, hawks, bear, etc. The Girls are very happy and we're getting 4 eggs almost every day!!
    We have a motion sensor we set at night so we'll know if anything tries to get into the coop.

2. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I love it!!! great job!!!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh I really love the rope light in there!

That is a fantastic coop and it looks like the ones the professional coop builders sell on internet!! [​IMG]

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks fabulous!! Where did you get that weather vane?? I want!

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] very nice

6. imamtgrandma2

imamtgrandma2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
  7. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    1) Wow!

2) Great Photos! I love them! I bet the other members on BYC do, too! ;-)

3) Great Build! Does your neighbour like the UK? He can live in my shed while a new coop is built!
    Full English Breakfast served everyday for your magnificent chap!

4) Double Wow!

5) Dontcha just love short replies?! lol!

Seriously, welcome here, for me - as a newbie, your build is inspirational. You did a great job!
    I hope to see more of your posts in the future! See you around!

Kevin

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Over my budget [​IMG] But very cute!! I may save for it or just get a rooster one, which I can find cheaper, i think.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow that is spiffy enough to be a guest house!

10. justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Zephyrhills, Florida
    WOW that's a beauty...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by