Check out the new addition to my coop! It's a coop porch! *pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shikens!, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Shikens!

Shikens! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    So, I have too many chickens for my coop and run size. Se we got creative and added some space without actually making the run larger. Our coop is 3x4 with 6 feet of roost space and 2 nest boxes and the run is now 8x8 with a 3x4 porch. Also lots of perches in the run that they LOVE! We have 6 16 week old chickens...

Here are the pics-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So basically this still needs paint but there are drainage holes in the bottom. This has been working FANTASTIC!!! Any time there is a squabble the bird getting picked on will escape to the second story. They all perch along the edge and sun themselves in the soft sand. Since we added this they have been a lot calmer and don't try so HARD to get out to free range. It adds lots of shade too.

Another benefit is that they can escape a dog or other predator that may force itself into the run. It may not save them but at least it gives them a little advantage. [​IMG]

Also this is so awesome for my garden compost. I will be taking all the poop dirt out periodically and mixing it in my compost pile. I think in the winter I'll put straw or hay instead of sand.

If this works really well then we will be expanding it across the whole back of the run to take it from 16sq/ft (what it is now) to 32sq/ft.

What do you guys think???

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Cool.[​IMG]

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Great idea. I know when I left them out in my yard, they always wound up on my porch. POOPING.
    Finally pressure washed the real porch, now yours have their own!

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Great idea and it gives ME some ideas. Mmmmm. . . . !

5. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You did a great job! I like it.

7. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Terrific idea! Now all you need to add are some rocking chairs and tall glasses of lemonade for the ladies to sip on..... [​IMG]

8. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    More than the porch, I'm glad to see that someone else has a chair in their run. Folks here think I'm a bit nutty sitting in the run with my hens - until they try it that is! I'd love to rig up a hammock in my run so that I can really chill with my hens.

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    That is a neat idea and you gave them extra shade too.

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I like it! [​IMG] Most importantly though, your girls seem to really like it too!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by