Check out the new addition to my flock!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ruffledfeathers1234, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ruffledfeathers1234

ruffledfeathers1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    Today I got a muscovy trio. Boy do they have an interesting color pattern compared to the common muscovy who is just a blackish green color. They are even quieter than i expected. They make hardly any noise at all ( I havn't even heard them hiss ). Plus one more bonus they really do love to eat flies and bugs. As soon as i put them in the pen they started working on the fly population, ( the real reason that I got them ).
    [​IMG]
    My drake has the same fish scale type pattern on his chest as th female in the middle has all over her body. The third duck in the row ( the one on the bottom ) has that pattern on her belly.

2. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    I don't know about the pattern, it may change as they get older, but they sure are cute! [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They're very pretty! [​IMG] I just got my first 2 on saturday! I'm looking forward to fly control too.

4. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Aww they are so cute! i cant wait for mine to hatch!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Those are very pretty!! [​IMG] thanks for sharing.

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The different patterned ones are called barred. They usually stay that way until the molt. Once they molt, the lose most of the barred feathers. They will still have barred feathers around their heads, bellies, and under their tail. But the rest of their bodies will be a more solid color, like the smaller female in the front.

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Really? Wow...that's odd! I am surprised because I have 2 scovies feathering in barred right now and I had no idea it would change.Thanks for the info!

To the OP....awesome trio [​IMG] Nice looking ducks!

8. ruffledfeathers1234

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    Quote:Darn I was hoping that they would stay that way. Oh well they are still awesome [​IMG]

9. ruffledfeathers1234

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments and info!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by