1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Check out these air cells?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Twoandhelp, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Twoandhelp

Twoandhelp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Ok what do yall think of these air cells? Are the ones with BIG air cells shrinkwrapped? Are the tiny ones dead? What about the joker with two? I've been spritzing them when I turn them and I just bought a hygrometer to stick in when I lock them down today. No internal pipping.

Also- should is set them deep dip of the air cell up or put that down for lockdown? Thanks!

Oh and these are duck eggs btw![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    the bottom of the eggs are not air cells they are undeveloped fluids that the light shines through. I would not put that egg into lock down until the fluid is absorbed.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  3. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    you didn't say what day they were on. I am assuming 18? I think your eggs just need time to enter the egg. what ever you do don't "help" anyone!!!

4. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    They are all on day 25 because they are duck eggs. Only one has the two clear areas.

5. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    day 25 is when they go onto lockdown- those air cells are just so varied in size.

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I'm experiencing the same thing. 6 of 10 eggs have two clear areas. I can see movement in all 10 eggs. Good luck with yours. We are on day 23.

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    twoandhelp, you are probably fine, ren 2014 do you have ducks too? If it is chickens, after day 16 there should not be a clear area on tip. If there was, I would suggest treating the egg like it was day 15 and not say day 18, if they were chicken eggs. clear area on tips are not an extra air cell but people get confused.

8. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I should have mentioned, ducks here also.

9. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    I'll keep an eye out. These two incubators I have don't measure humidity. They say 45% no matter what so the next hatches will have humidity gauges in there if I have to use those again. The last hatch was all shrink wrapped. I was able to save three but I didn't know they were shrinkwrapped until it was too late so I wasn't able to save the others. When I realized that batch had humidity problems I started generously misting these three times a day but I'm worried it's too late especially since some of the air cells are huge and others are so tiny. Thanks gimme birdies and good luck with your ducks ren2014!

10. Brandon Josey

Brandon Josey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    one the last day before lock down I put 5-6 cups into my incubator (small counter top model holds 36 eggs) for my chicken and duck eggs and seams to be just right on my humidity gauge through the hatch off period. Hope this helps with humidity levels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by