Check the dog shelters before u go buy a purebred!! Mutts need love too!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by joshwilson42728, Sep 11, 2012.

1. joshwilson42728

joshwilson42728 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    columbia ky
    hate going to the shelter and seeing all the animals being locked up wish i had enough money and land to take them all makes me wonder how people can just drop of a animal on the side of the road!!![​IMG] I have 3 dogs now and all i saved from being put down NO there not purebreds but there luv for me is wonderful there great dogs wouldnt know what to do without them......mommy and daddy love u trixie, daisy may and tyson......

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I know! I am so sad when people dont spay or neuter their pets. I know most people cant afford is what the pet populations gets out of control ! I wish I can rescue all of them ! . Most places will let you adopt for a reasonable fee that will include spaying or neutering. and shots ( some average $50.00! or sometimes free!) So Come on friend go check them out and save their lives today !

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't like to support my local pound. They do not treat animals properly, and a lot have behavioural issues. That said, I don' think anyone should get a dog unless they are willing to make a lifelong commitment to them. If you are going to move any time in the future to a rental house, don't get a dog. Or find a place that allows them. That is the stupidest reason I have ever seen for giving up a member of the family.

My dog has been with me through 4 rental units and I have never given an animal up. There is nothing wrong with someone buying a dog from a reputable breeder for specific traits. I would not buy a dog I wanted to show from a shelter. It just doesn't make logical sense.

I always buy my cats from rescue shelters, but they are never SPCAs - and they always have a no-kill policy.

4. aoxa

It's the people that buy dogs and dump them that I can't stand. Cats are worse off then dogs in that area :(

5. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I've only ever actually bought 1 dog in my life, all the rest (including the 3 we have no) are rescue dogs...and all future dogs will as well. You can find (more or less) purebreds there as well. I've never had a dog (or cat) that wasn't spayed or neutered either. Why bring more into this world when there already so many who need furever homes?

6. aoxa

Not always. We went to the shelter looking for a LGD (livestock Guardian dog) but of course they didn't have anything like them. We needed a young dog that we could train to be proper with our animals. We had no choice but to go through a breeder.

The problem is that not enough people are breeding the right kinds of dogs. No one takes into consideration that the temperament of both parents needs to be positive and well behaved. I am fixing her as soon as she is old enough (which is now really).

7. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    All my 4 dogs were once strays and 3 are mutts -- except my Maltease (and he was an owner give-up at 8 yrs old, now 13 y.o.). I also have dogs dumped on my road a lot, usually puppies. I have found several homes. Currently, I have taken in 2 Pointer (birddogs), one male & one female, if anyone knows of a home. They are now about 18 weeks old & I have had them over a month. They have to be crated during the day because I do not have a fenced yard and they have shown some interest in the chickens so I don't trust them out while I am not at home. I have gotten them their shots (including a 3 year rabies vaccination) & I guess the next step is spaying and neutering. yes, I have listed them on some sites and publicized them but have only had one looker. There are so many dogs in the shelters and everywhere. IMHO, breeding dogs & cats should be regulated & by strict license only. I would never buy a purebreed dog or cat, NEVER. It should be illegal not to spay or neuter unless licensed. It is the one area I am for more government/ state regulation.

Thanks, I needed a place to vent. It has been very frustrating with 6 dogs lately. My 4 dogs cannot stand the new puppies; I've got to find them homes.

8. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    You're absolutely right! The "good" breeders are responsible and only breed to improve the line. It's the backyard breeders and careless owners who create the problems :(

Working dogs are "different"...for them you really do need to go with dogs bred, raised and trained for the purpose. But for a pet...shelter/rescue dogs (IMO) are the way to go :)

As cute and sweet and adorable as most of my dogs have been, I've never given more than a second's thought about letting them reproduce. It would just be irresponsible...I don't know enough, nor have the facilities or money to do it properly.

9. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Quote: I see Great Pyrenees all the time at the shelter & there were three dumped on my road at one time! One male dog was brought to my local shelter who they said was excellent at guarding livestock but that when it thundered, he was sacred and would jump their fence so they dumped him at the shelter.

10. aoxa

Not here. If they were in a shelter, there has to be something wrong with the way they are at the farm. I wouldn't take in a rescue LGD for anything other than a pet. My chickens are my top priority when it comes to that.

My LGD was very properly bred/raised. Her parents are working, and her mother was 4 and had her last litter (total 3 litters).

You need to see the parents of an LGD in my opinion before making a life altering decision to get one.

She is the closest I have ever been to giving up an animal, but I pulled through. Those types of dogs are extremely hard headed and take a lot of training, supervision.

Always do your homework. Don't get a dog that is just 'cute' make sure the breed suites your lifestyle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by